Finding Freedom

How quickly can a fool find his money again?

I currently have a whole bunch of debt. Hmm...I wonder how much I could get for my kidneys?
You can email me at steven.jericho@gmail.com
Friday, June 30, 2006
Jose, Can You See?
The professional baseball team that I sang the National Anthem for has just picked up Jose Canseco for their team.

Whatever anybody thinks about the man, he was one of my favorite players when I was a little boy collecting baseball cards. So, if and when I get to sing for the team again, I hope that I'll be able to pick up an autograph.

In any case, what I found interesting about the article is that the league's maximum pay per player is $2500 a month. That is the MOST someone could get. As far as I can tell, they only play three months of the year, although I would imagine that they would probably practice at least a month before games start which I would also imagine that they get paid for. This would mean that for the other eight or nine months a year, these guys have regular jobs like the rest of us.

Sidenote: it seems like this league would really be the people's choice if they opted to market that. Like, "For three months, so and so is a baseball player, but during the school year he works as a teacher." I know I'd rather watch people who I could identify with versus high paid professional athletes.

But back to the money, twenty-five hundred bucks is a far cry from the millions Canseco was making at the height of his pro career. However, I suspect that he's not doing it for the money. I think he, like Rickey Henderson who played for this team last year, is just looking for an opportunity to get back into the majors.

And I wish him luck.
posted by shamedsteven @ 9:53 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger ntbeachnc said…

    Spring training is in April. Games start in May and the World Series is in October. So at the least, they play from May til end of September if they don't make it to the playoffs...so that is 5 months.

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger shamedsteven said…

    The only thing is that it's not for Major League Baseball. It's a different league called the Golden Baseball League, and I believe that they only play through August.

    I don't even know if they have a championship series or not.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: Steven shamedsteven
Home: San Diego
About Me: Well, boys and girls, I, like a whole bunch of other people, made a series of "conscious, deliberate mistakes" and have ended up with a buttload of debt. What is chronicled here are some musings about the journey out.
See my complete profile
Previous Posts
Archives
Personal Finance Sites
Under 30 Honor Roll
Other Sites I Like
Other Sites

Free Blogger Templates
Directory of Education/Research Blogs
View My Stats
BLOGGER

© Finding Freedom proudly powered by Blogger. Template Design by isnaini dot com