Finding Freedom

How quickly can a fool find his money again?

I currently have a whole bunch of debt. Hmm...I wonder how much I could get for my kidneys?
You can email me at steven.jericho@gmail.com
Monday, June 12, 2006
A Person the Credit Cards Would Love to Have as a Customer
What follows is an excerpt from here:

"TOKYO (Reuters) - A Japanese man who robbed a post office returned more money than he stole and turned himself in after deciding to come clean for the sake of his girlfriend.
The 33-year-old stole 340,000 yen ($2,300) at knifepoint from a post office in western Tokyo in March. Ridden with guilt, he went back to the post office at the end of May and left 350,000 yen in an envelope on the counter before running off."

Let me first say that I am glad that he came clean. Once you start to disregard your conscience, it is very difficult to start up again. What is fascinating to me, however, is that fact that he chose to pay it back with interest. This is truly a repentant soul.

It occurs to me, however, that perhaps post offices shouldn't have so much easily stealable cash. If you're the post office, why do you even need that much green, or blue, or whatever color yen is? Or, at the very least, you could invest in a safe. Call me crazy (and be on the lookout for playing with words ahead), but in a sense, it doesn't make much sense to leave that many cents lying around.

Finally, it should be noted that he did it for his girlfriend. My first reaction was, "Aw! Isn't that sweet!" But as I thought about it more, I began to wonder about the whole story. Was it a "I love her so much that I can't bear for her to be in a relationship with a thief," kind of thing, or was it a "For crying out loud, I can't take any more nagging about stealing it. FINE! I'll take it back!" kind of thing?

Only time will tell.
posted by shamedsteven @ 1:26 PM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: Steven shamedsteven
Home: San Diego
About Me: Well, boys and girls, I, like a whole bunch of other people, made a series of "conscious, deliberate mistakes" and have ended up with a buttload of debt. What is chronicled here are some musings about the journey out.
See my complete profile
Previous Posts
Archives
Personal Finance Sites
Under 30 Honor Roll
Other Sites I Like
Other Sites

Free Blogger Templates
Directory of Education/Research Blogs
View My Stats
BLOGGER

© Finding Freedom proudly powered by Blogger. Template Design by isnaini dot com