Finding Freedom

How quickly can a fool find his money again?

I currently have a whole bunch of debt. Hmm...I wonder how much I could get for my kidneys?
You can email me at steven.jericho@gmail.com
Wednesday, August 02, 2006
Is There Money to Be Made in Baseball Cards?
I, like many other little boys, collected baseball cards. As a little boy, I was lured into collecting with the mindset that I could collect things that would one day be worth millions of dollars. I collected pretty seriously for a couple years, but the player's strike in the early nineties was atrocious and reprehensible in my pre-pubescent eyes, and so I gave collecting up. The greedy players wouldn't get any more of my money. So, I stuck all my cards in boxes, and I waited for them to increase in value, as the baseball cards of every generation before mine had done.

Unfortunately for me, the time that I started being interested in baseball cards was the same time that the card companies decided to exponentially expand the number of cards produced.
With the huge supply of cards, the demand for these cards has left me with those same boxes full of memories in the form of just about worthless pieces of card board.

However, today, many of the card companies that were spitting out cards as quickly as a fat kid spits out seeds at a watermelon eating contest have now gone out of business. With this being the case, the total supply of cards is starting to be much less than the demand, which may indicate that cards now will perhaps start to be worth the money that the old rookie cards are worth.

However, I suspect that once there is money to be made in the card industry again, those same printers who have gone out of business will re-open their doors to drive down the market price again.

However, for right now at least, I think that there may be some money to be made for the serious collector in baseball cards. Obviously, there are more solid investments, but I think these are certainly a little bit more fun.

What do you think?
posted by shamedsteven @ 11:38 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Andrew said…

    I was also an avid card collector, althout I mainly collected basketball and football. I do have a Ken Griffey Jr. second year card and every ther player for that year in Upper Deck. I think it could be a fun investment that could pay off down the road. I should check the value of some of my cards. I actually have a rookie card of Shaquille O'neal in his LSU jersey. I wonder if that is worth anything.

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger shamedsteven said…

    Probably. You should check it out. I think that there's Beckett magazine online that you can check prices in for free.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: Steven shamedsteven
Home: San Diego
About Me: Well, boys and girls, I, like a whole bunch of other people, made a series of "conscious, deliberate mistakes" and have ended up with a buttload of debt. What is chronicled here are some musings about the journey out.
See my complete profile
Previous Posts
Archives
Personal Finance Sites
Under 30 Honor Roll
Other Sites I Like
Other Sites

Free Blogger Templates
Directory of Education/Research Blogs
View My Stats
BLOGGER

© Finding Freedom proudly powered by Blogger. Template Design by isnaini dot com