Finding Freedom

How quickly can a fool find his money again?

I currently have a whole bunch of debt. Hmm...I wonder how much I could get for my kidneys?
You can email me at steven.jericho@gmail.com
Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Starbucks to Promote Albom's New Book
It is being reported that Starbucks is signed up to promote Mitch Albom's new book, titled For One More Day, which will be released in October. In addition, Starbucks will be selling copies of the novel at its stores.

I can't help but wonder whether or not this type of cross-promotion is a good thing.

I guess this article really struck me due to the fact that I was on a message board the other day, and Albom was listed by one member as a particularly bad author because he wasn't necessarily writing for the love of it, but he was writing to make money. With this being the opinion of the person on that board, I would imagine that this revelation would be the final nail in the coffin for Albom.

A similar conception exists for Thomas Kinkade, the contemporary painter. While his paintings, are indeed beautiful, a lot of people think that he's just a no-talent hack looking to make a few bucks.

On the other hand, what is wrong with making money in the arts? A lot of people have this kooky impression that one must be a starving artist in order for the art that they produce to be authentic, and therefore worthwhile. Why can't someone who is good at something, like Albom or Kinkade, make a good living at it? Why should we be more okay with players of professional sports making millions of dollars through endorsement deals than we are with artists doing the same thing?

As I am looking towards a career in the arts, I have, and continue to, give this topic a lot of thought, but I have yet to come to any sort of conclusions as I can see both sides of the argument.

What do all of you think?
posted by shamedsteven @ 12:10 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: Steven shamedsteven
Home: San Diego
About Me: Well, boys and girls, I, like a whole bunch of other people, made a series of "conscious, deliberate mistakes" and have ended up with a buttload of debt. What is chronicled here are some musings about the journey out.
See my complete profile
Previous Posts
Archives
Personal Finance Sites
Under 30 Honor Roll
Other Sites I Like
Other Sites

Free Blogger Templates
Directory of Education/Research Blogs
View My Stats
BLOGGER

© Finding Freedom proudly powered by Blogger. Template Design by isnaini dot com