Finding Freedom

How quickly can a fool find his money again?

I currently have a whole bunch of debt. Hmm...I wonder how much I could get for my kidneys?
You can email me at steven.jericho@gmail.com
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Speaking of Funny Things People Do with their Money...
The Arizona Diamondbacks are disappointed with how much money they're making.

Do they,

A) Do nothing and hope things get better on their own,
B) Spend money on trying to get some better players,
C) Spend more money on scouting out the best college players, or
D) Change the team's colors.

If you guessed D, you'd be right.

I have to say that I agree with the analysis in the article above, especially the lines, "Attention Diamondbacks: Fans will buy your merchandise and go to your games if your team does well. I don't care if your team colors were baby pink and eggshell, if you made it to the World Series, you would have plenty of rabid fans eager to spend money on everything from Diamonbacks hats to Diamondbacks breast pumps."

This is an issue that holds particular interest for me because I went through a situation that I think is very similar.

For my B.A., I went to a very small, accredited Christian college. The year after I graduated, the school, like the Diamondbacks, was finding it difficult to make ends meet. So, the administration decided that the best course of action to get new students was not to implement long lasting changes so that the course structure was better or seek out professors that may have been a little bit better at what they did, but instead, to change the school's name.

And it makes perfect sense, when you think about it. Implementing lasting change is difficult; who wants to do that? Besides, when you're going to college, you don't want a name that you can recognize; you want something flashy, like, "A Legitimate College" or "President So and So's Party Fun Time University."

I just don't get it. I don't get why people will go for a gimmick when the obvious answer is staring them right in the face. Perhaps one day, the answer will come to me.
posted by shamedsteven @ 1:20 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger Ms. MiniDucky said…

    Any combination of shortsightedness and laziness may be your answer. It's quicker and easier to resort to these changes, or complain and yell at the wrong people, than it is to address the root of the problem. It literally doesn't sink in that there are no results. Go team! ;)

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Blogger shamedsteven said…

    Yeah, it sure is easier. I will not ever get over how quickly people will choose ease over doing the right thing, myself included.

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Anonymous bluntmoney said…

    But they HAVE made it to the World Series before -- they've even won. Are you sure changing the team's colors is an effort to make more money? I'd like it if they reduced their ticket prices, but still, they do way better at things than the other pro Arizona teams.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: Steven shamedsteven
Home: San Diego
About Me: Well, boys and girls, I, like a whole bunch of other people, made a series of "conscious, deliberate mistakes" and have ended up with a buttload of debt. What is chronicled here are some musings about the journey out.
See my complete profile
Previous Posts
Archives
Personal Finance Sites
Under 30 Honor Roll
Other Sites I Like
Other Sites

Free Blogger Templates
Directory of Education/Research Blogs
View My Stats
BLOGGER

© Finding Freedom proudly powered by Blogger. Template Design by isnaini dot com